Hibiscus Allergy

The Risks of Hibiscus Allergy

Hibiscus flowers are large and vividly colored. A lot of people keep them as a garden plant, due to its showy, beautiful nature. However, you can also eat this plant, as a garnish on salads or in other foods. You can even brew dried hibiscus flowers to make a nice, herbal tea. Most commercial tea blends use it for its flavor and deep, red color. Unfortunately, there are some people that present a hibiscus allergy.

Hibiscus tea is consumed all around the world as both a cold and hot beverage. The pleasant, red color comes from a pigment in the blossoms. The petals also have a fruity and tart taste that many people enjoy. You can consume this tea on its own, or as a basis for other herbal tea blends. Medically, this flower has lots of benefits for your body. For example, it can lower blood pressure and reduce anxiety. But what about the negative aspects?

Hibiscus Allergy

The Risks of Hibiscus Allergy

Unfortunately, this plant does not come without any risks. Many people present a hibiscus allergy. Their symptoms usually resemble those of a hay fever. This means stuffed sinuses, red, itchy eyes, sometimes even a constricted throat. If you are allergic to it, your symptoms will present themselves immediately after drinking the tea. Fortunately, none of the allergic reactions are life-threatening. Therefore, you do not need to worry as much about them.

Some rare cases of hibiscus allergy include a drop in blood pressure, headaches and nausea. However, these are particular cases and are not as common.

Hibiscus is not hard to avoid, in comparison to other types of allergens. You usually find it in teas and other herbal tea blends. Hibiscus extract can also be present in certain types of flavoring syrups. Be careful when reading labels so you know to avoid it. If you suffer from hay fever, consume flower-based products one at a time. This way you can monitor yourself closely and see your reaction to them.

To sum up, hibiscus is not a dangerous allergen. You can stay safe from it as long as you read product labels closely.

You may also like

No Comment

Comments are closed.

Close